Wow! My blog is nominated for the Liebster Award! This is a wonderful, completely unexpected surprise and, the fact that the nomination came while I am away on vacation, has just made this week even more perfect!
I literally let out a scream when I received the message (scaring a few people in the process; but everyone recovered quickly by doing a little happy dance)! The amazing The Plentiful Cup nominated me and I am so appreciative and blessed; especially because it came from such an outstanding woman.
She doesn’t shy away from the tough topic of mental health and provides many ways to help us manage our emotional well-being in addition to our physical selves. You can’t operate when your cup (soul) is empty; it is not beneficial for us and certainly not good for those around us. I love the fresh perspectives she brings to feeding our souls, hearts and minds and that it’s okay to ask for help when we struggle to find that peace.
The Liebster Award is an online award given to a blogger by other bloggers. It’s a way to not only recognize their work, but also to help promote and support others who have chosen to express themselves in this medium. The blogging community is like no other and I have “met” many phenomenal people on my journey. To learn more about this award click here.
By now, I am almost certain you are thinking “What is [a] Liebster?” Liebster translates to ‘beloved’ or ‘dear’. The word beloved is very important to me in both my life and spiritual journeys, so it’s quite meaningful to me that someone reads my blog—the words of my heart, mind and soul—and sees me as beloved and dear.
As I said, I continue to be blessed in so many ways since I decided to put thoughts into print. My brain is quite curious about so much in life. I recognize the importance of not living with tunnel vision—getting trapped there causes us to become closed-minded, and adverse to change, intolerant, and possibly thinking that our ways or thoughts are the only way.
To overcome this, it’s important to take a look at multiple perspectives for any given situation and to not be like a sheep by blindly following or accepting as the fact, each thing we read, see or hear. Communication is critical: we need to ask the tough questions, we need to listen (a lot), and we need to apply critical yet compassionate thinking in our interactions with others.
It’s my hope that my words, thoughts and communication tips cause you not to necessarily agree with my point of view, but to view the world a little differently. Living with open minds, hearts and souls can change us and the world for the better.
Now, on to the fun!
10 Random Things About Me
- Coffee is liquid gold and I am lost without it
- I’ve been to the top of the Eiffel Tower (I don’t like heights)
- I have dug a latrine as a Girl Scout; I no longer recommend this task 😉
- I have been playing organ and piano for 45 years
- My favorite guilty pleasure song is MMMBop (yea, I know)
- I love hot mashed potatoes topped with grated raw carrots
- My BFF of 39 years is a man; yes it’s possible!
- I love solitude
- I create silk floral arrangements/wreaths in my spare time
- I am going to try Zero Gravity Float later this summer
Answers to the Questions Posed by My Nominator
- If u were a kind of weather what kind of weather would u be and why? I would be a rainstorm; a mix of gentle, soothing rainfall followed by a passionate, electrifying, show of energy and a force with which to be reckoned. As it slows, I provide soothing and healing drops of water; ones that washes away worries and struggles.
- How would you describe yourself? I am a woman with flaws, and a continual work in progress. I no longer carry guilt and shame; I am not afraid to show my vulnerabilities. I am accountable, open-minded, compassionate, and filled with love and the grace, mercy & forgiveness of God. I am passionate and dislike mediocrity. Now, ask someone else to describe you. Their response: “Intensely dedicated to everything you do. I find you to be caring, real, compassionate, wise, raw and inspiring. You are beautiful inside and out with a spark for life that shows in the sparkle in your eye and the words that flow from your fingers. You can keep a person grounded in reality while still soaring through all the possibilities to be found in this life. I can’t pretend to understand how you accomplish this but you do everyday.” (I promise, I did not offer any incentive for this response. 🙃😀) Are the answers similar or different? The answers are quite similar, therefore, I take comfort in the fact I am living and displaying my authentic self into the world. If they are different, why do you think that is?
- Are you comfortable with the person you are currently and why or why not? Yes. While there are always things to work on and improve, overall I am quite comfortable with who I AM (perfectly imperfect) in the present as I have fought hard to become this version of myself. There are people from my past who would not recognize the woman I am today and that is the reward!
- What did you Google last? “Slide Rock (AZ) State Park”
- What was the most awkward conversation you have overheard? A man with a very narcissistic personality speaking to his wife in what he would call a joking manner, but that was clearly meant to humiliate and belittle her.
- You can eat 1 thing for the rest of your life, what is it? Seafood (that answer allows for a little variety too; remember my dislike of mediocrity)
- What has changed about you since you have started blogging? I have become even more open-minded and open-hearted by learning about and appreciating both the struggles and joys as well as the perspective of others. By taking the time to both question and listen, I have developed a deeper level of compassion and empathy because I truly want to understand the root of one’s belief rather than simply rush to any judgements.
- Which actor/actress would play you in a movie of your life? Diane Lane—from ‘Outsiders’ to ‘Under The Tuscan Sun’; Must Love Dogs’ to ‘The Perfect Storm’, she is the perfect mix of adventurous, passion, funny, caring, loving, a little crazy and overall cool person to be around.
- If you could have lunch with anyone who would it be? Why? What would you order? My celebrity answer is Freddie Mercury as he is one of my all-time favorite musicians with an out-of-this-world talent. My true choice however, is my grandma Jenny. She has been gone for 13 years. We were very close and I miss her dearly. She was one of my staunchest supporters and she was one of the most open-minded people I have ever known (in spite of her stubbornness lol). She would love that I am writing about communication and perspective shifts and I imagine we would have put together some amazing collaborative work. I would only order a beverage because there is no time for food, only enlightening conversation.
- What have you seen that you wish you could un-see. That would be a tie between online bullies and sex/human trafficking. The fact that there is so much disrespect, humiliation, degradation and complete disregard for others as worthy human beings is heartbreaking and repulsive.
- What would 2008 think about your answers to these questions? The 2008 version of me was not always accountable, was not nearly as strong nor did she feel very empowered. She might think I was just making this stuff up to ‘sound good’. So, I would guess that she might be shocked initially but my wish is that deep down inside, she knew that the empowered, soul-on-fire woman was inside her all along; she just needed to recognize her not so great qualities, then accept a confidence boost and push from amazing friends to unleash her spirit, light and love into the world.
Nominate Other Bloggers
- Gabrielle Snow
- The Cozy Compass
- Living Simply Mindful
- Eden’s Crazy World
- Defining Yellow
Official Rules of the Liebster Award 2018 are here.
Questions For My Nominees
- You have 10 minutes to speak with anyone at all. Who would it be and what would you ask?
- Who is the one fictional character from a book or movie you relate to and why?
- How did you meet your best friend?
- If you could do something mischievous without being caught, what would it be?
- If money wasn’t an object, how would you spend the next 30 days? Would you include your spouse, partner and/or children? Why or why not?
- When was the last time you changed your mind on a big issue and what caused the change?
- What was the scariest dream you ever had?
- If you can have 15 minutes of fame right now, what would it be for?
- A genie grants you three wishes and you must use them solely on yourself. What would they be and why?
- You have the opportunity to make up a word and have it added to the dictionary. What would it be and what does it mean?
- Is there such a thing as too many cat/kitten videos on You Tube? If so, what should they be replaced with?
My utmost thanks again to The Plentiful Cup. I truly appreciate the nod. Good luck to all of the nominees!